Monday, April 1, 2013

Ben: Priesthood

Another week gone and another week to begin. Today I heard from so many back home which was especially wonderful for me since many of you boar powerful witnesses of our Savior Jesus Christ, I give my God praise for blessing me with such a wonderful family and friends. Mom Dad, Jenni, Rachel, Alyssa, and of course my beloved brother Matt I love you all so much. What a blessing this Easter season to remember all that Christ did for us so we could overcome the bands of death and be an eternal family. I finished "Jesus The Christ" by James E. Talmage in which he describes the pain the savior went through not only physically but mentally along with spiritually. The price He paid as He took our sins upon Him... the Love He showed is something my 20 year old mind cannot fathom. I know He is risen and this is His church, I am not ashamed to declare I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I testify He is at the head of it directing it through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson... I know it! Once more thank you everyone for the emails. I received many emails today that were so wonderful. I laughed my head off Alex at your email and the picture you sent, it truly made my day. THATS the Alex i remember! Sorry about the Spanish lady though cutting your hair, if I was there I could have spoken Portuguese with her and that would have really thrown her for a loop huh? haha... Erika, thank you so much for your email and the wonderful news. Im so happy for you and your decision to marry and mark this wonderful moment for all eternity in your life. The blessings that come from this choice in your life will bless you in more ways then you can imagine. I promise I will be there... in spirit. :) haha Congratulations once more and know how much I love you my dear friend Erika ( I plan on eating some whales with you in the future, ok!? haha) To my 2nd family I love you so much and thank you for the wonderful update. You don’t know how much it means... I love you all so very much.

Well as to the events of last week many things happened but something that I just cant seem to shake from my mind and as I ponder it more it touches the core of my heart is the power of the everlasting priesthood. This last week and throughout my mission I have had the wonderful opportunity to give many blessings here on the mission and each time I have felt the spirit in so much abundance that I cannot even describe... but one experience that occurred late Friday afternoon I would like to share with you all this day. We had a lunch appointment with a family that lived very far away from our house and especially the area in which I am working in. The Irmã called me at about 11:30 and explained how crazy things had been that morning and lunch would be a little delayed until about 12 30 or 1. She explained that she understands how far she lives and if we couldn’t make it she would understand. As soon as she said that I felt the impression "Elder Doggett you go to the Lunch appointment now!" haha at first I thought its just cause I was hungry for some beans and rice but then felt it one more time... "Go" I told the Irmã it wasn’t a problem and we would go. When we arrived in the house we ate and had a wonderful time. They are a young family with two little boys one is 4 and the other 6 months old. They were baptized last November and are very active and faithful members with many questions concerning the Gospel, which made for a wonderful conversation around the dinner table. After lunch I left a spiritual message with them and then we said a pray. As we were getting up to leave the impression came once more "Elder Doggett you are here at this lunch for a reason, Don’t leave!" I was a little startled by this but continued to walk to the door... "Elder!" haha this time I acted and turned around and asked "Irmãos I don’t know why but I just feel like there is something you both need from us, is there anything we can do for you?" They looked at each other and then with a look of fear and concern they told me that there 6 month old baby had a high fever of about 101 degrees or so for the past few days and no one knows what’s wrong. That’s pretty serious. They tried taking him to the doctors and everything and they said they needed to put him in the hospital but the family just can’t do that right now financially. I then asked humbly if they would like me to give a blessing to him. They both with tears in their eyes asked me to heal their baby as they gave me their baby. Family and Friends I cannot type or describe the feelings of the spirit that overcame me in that moment as me, a 20 year old boy from Idaho, took that small baby in my arms, as he was crying, and gave a blessing unto him. He became silent and the spirit touched my heart and all of us present. As I finished the blessing and looked down at that small baby He was completely calm and peaceful looking right at me with his big brown eyes. I couldn’t help but allow one or two tears fall from my eyes as so many powerful lessons were taught unto me in that small moment... as I left that house Friday afternoon my testimony was strengthen as I gave praise unto God for directing me to that wonderful family. I know "That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness." (D&C 121: 34) Family and friends... I love my mission so much and the man it is helping to make me become. These experiences are unlike nothing i have ever experienced. I couldn’t help but for a small moment give thanks unto God for trusting me with His power so that someday I too could maybe hold my own children in my arms and bless them. Family friends, Fathers... Bless your family, honor your sacred Priesthood, and do everything you can to live worthy of it.

This email is long and I apologize for the long read this day but my heart is full. I have been out one year. One year ago I stood in my front lawn saying goodbye to all of you. Not knowing what the future here in Brasil had in store for me... but I found something that money can’t buy. Something so much more precious that I will carry with me throughout my life and the eternities. I have one more year to do all I can to build the Kingdom of my Savior Jesus Christ and I cannot fail. I’m humbled before you all this day and want you to know my testimony that I know this church is true and that the Priesthood of God was restored through a prophet Joseph Smith. I love you all so much and hope you all had a wonderful Easter and a wonderful week to come. Dad, here in Brasil there is still the whole Easter bunny and choclate eggs things. The lady at the super Market is always saying "Oi minino eu sei que você tem muito vontade para comer essa aqui!" As she stretches forth a big chunk of chocolate haha; I have to deny sadly because it’s just to expensive haha. And also about the Catholic religion I’m not so sure what there whole view is around this time, I did see them in there worship ceremonies yesterday as I was walking home... but I do know about the Jehovah’s witness as they knocked on our door early Sunday morning inviting us to their Easter worship. haha I gave them a pamphlet of the Plan of Salvation and thanked them for coming by. :) They were quick to leave when they saw i was a missionary too haha oh stories of the mission. My companion and the Zone leaders got a good laugh out of it... I love it so much and I’m loving this chance to be here in Brasil. It is truly something special. Love you all once more and God be with you till we meet again! (General Conference is this Week!!!!!! pois É)

Ama Élder Benjamin B. Doggett 


No comments:

Post a Comment