Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Matt #53

Thank you all for the wonderful e-mails you have sent... My heart (As always) has been touched by your sweet Spirit and love for my Brother and I. I'm glad to here everyone is safe back home. This past week was a little crazy for us as well and I was very worried especially when I heard of the Bombs going off in Boston. As a matter of fact I was at the Brazilian Policia re-newing my visa to stay in Brazil when we all got the news. They had a big T.V. screen in the huge police station that showed everything going down in Boston and my thoughts first turned to my dear sister Alyssa and Eli. I wont lie I was a little scarred and so were the other Americans I was with as they re showed the bombs going off on the television. As I was sitting there thinking of the horrible things going on in Boston and the many experinces I've had as a Missionary my mind reflected on the Scriptures. This past week I had the Sacred experince to finish reading the Book of Mormon in Português and as I was reading the final chapters I couldnt help but tear up. Those last chapters are sometimes hard to read, especially when we read of the final wars and destruction of the Jaredites and of course the many terrible things the Lamanites had done with their Prisoners. Chapter 9 of Moroni is a hard one to read. Verse 8-14 is one that always brings many emotions to me of saddness for the great wickedness of the people. I'm sorry to say my family and friends but we are in the last days... We are close to the end. In Mormon 8: 26-33 we learn what the last days will be like and we are definetly in them. The news was very hard to hear when I saw pictures of the destruction those two young men caused, they hurt the lifes of many innocent people and they will stand at judgement for what they've done. When I heard of this story I only thought of the Gadiaton Robbers and the Secret Combinations they accomplished to ruin the lifes of others. Are Nation today is not much diffrent from the Nations and stories we read about in the Scriptures... But I dont want us to focus on the bad within our world because just like in the Scriptures we read of good people and good Members of the Church who radiate the Light of Christ and are willing to help. As we were finishing are time at the Police Station everyone there was quiet... You could almost feel the tension as people were getting their paper worked finished by the Police officers. It was an intersting moment and thats when my amazing brothers words flashed through my mind. "I noticed my name tag and the name of our Savior Jesus Christ." We read in D&C 4:5 we must have our eyes fixed on our Lord and Savior and then will we be filled with his love and charity... we will be filled with his light. Then in D&C 50: 24-27 We read of our Saviors light. (I recommend everyone reads these Scriptures before reading on in my e-mail and then ponder on those words as well) We as members of the church have a responsibility to share this light with others... As we study the Scriptures and Ponder on the words written within those sacred Books. Our own light will begin to grow and we will feel more peace in our life and more willingness to help those around us. We will be more willing to share our light and testimony with those who truly need it. This is our purpose is to help others come to understand the light through the Darkness. We live in dark times that is for sure, but I know we each have the light of Christ that we can share with those in need. As I was finishing up my visa imformation they needed to take my fingerprints and a photo. We were in a large room with a lot of people from all over the world getting there Visas cleared with the police and taking their photos and fingerprints as well. May I remind you we all had just heard the news of the Boston Attack and nobody was smiling and everyone looked serious. I'm sorry but for those who know me I can be a little crazy. Or in Bens own words a "Goof Ball" and when I was asked to sit and take the picture I was all smiles! Our lifes are difficult and I wasnt smiling because of the pain others were feeling back home in Boston. I wasnt smiling because two men decided to use their agency against ohters. I was smiling because I knew that everything would be ok in the end. I was smiling because I know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and he loves us so much. I was smiling because I know that when we are doing our part with our eyes fixed on the glory of God or in other words on the big picture, we will naturally smile and also feel peace and joy within our Hearts. The lady who was then taking my picture explained that we couldnt smile in the photo. Well what generally happens when someone tells you you cant smile? It only makes it harder not to! :) We ended up taking 6 photos because I couldnt stop smiling and by the end of the time the lady who was taking my picture was laughing and so was everyone there. They actually started trying to make me smile by photo 4 by saying funny comments or pulling funny faces. When it ended and I finally took a serious photo and I stood up and noticed that everyone there had a smile on there faces and the tension was gone. Thats how the Gospel works... We will only find Joy and peace in the Gospel when we do are best and help those around us. I like to think of this little experince as a Sacred time the Lord gave me to share a little of my Light with those in need. I pray that this coming week each of us will do our best to find a moment to help someone in need and to share our light. Thats the best way we can personally grow is when we are helping others. I know I still have a long way to go before I'm where I need to be, as a matter of fact I have a lot of weaknesses, but personally I think recongnizing our weaknesses can be our greatest strength. I know this Gospel is true and I know that when we follow the Saviors exemple we will only find peace. I love you all so much and I'm glad to know everyone is safe back home. It makes me sad to here of all the darkness we have in the world today but lets do our best this week to share our smiles and help bring more light into this world. I love you all so much and I pray for each of you everyday. I still havent gotten transfers yet so I dont know what will happen to me. I do know that I will be leaving for sure. I have 7 months here in Campanário which has made things hard to say goodbye but I will do excatly what the savior askes of me. I love this Gospel so much and I love each and everyone of you so much. Take care and know I am doing great! Love Elder Matthew Doggett   

No comments:

Post a Comment